Badachro to Ullapool 25.06.13

Departed at 07:00hrs the forecast was for force 3 to 4 decreasing as the day goes on. This is exactly as it was. I had previously decided to go to Ullapool because quite a few years ago on a family holiday in a motorhome we ended up in Ullapool which is a great destination very nice indeed. Good pubs friendly people and good food and shops. Whilst on holiday with the family we ended up in a pub overlooking the harbour and I can remember saying ' one day I would like to sail here' From the pub we walked along the shoreline and you can see right out to sea in one direction and up the valley to the mountains in the other direction. Stunning. However I didn't realize even after working it out on the charts just how long the inlet to Ullapool is. about twenty miles and as the wind had eased a lot of this had to be done whilst motor sailing and of course it would be the same thing the following day on my way out.
Same view, but this time my boat is out there.
Anyway once moored up on a floating mooring I at least new where to go for groceries etc. I also had to fill up with fuel which you have to buy in twenty five litre containers. Luckily my funnel that I use has a strainer in it as the end of the container was full of grit etc so I stopped filling up rather quickly and left a good litre at least in the bottom of the drum.
I the evening I found the pub that we had previously visited and although it was now more of a restaurant than a pub I was able to find the seat we had previously obtained and too a picture through the window looking across the harbour as before. There was quite a strong feeling of having completed something I had started sitting there drinking my pint and looking out the window. even though at the time however many years before I didn't really know that I would ever sail here, never mind single handed from the south of England. A good feeling none the less for having done it. Although in the hidden recesses of my mind I wished for Fran and the girls to be here sharing it with me.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment